Originally Published August 25, 2014
As news unfolded about the beheading of journalist Jim Foley by the ISIS (or ISIL or IS) Islamists, it first appeared that it would once again be an internet only story that wouldn’t get wide coverage. But thankfully it did and so much so that President Obama even took to the airwaves to condemn the actions of ISIS.
Yet once again the President and others on the left insist that what ISIL is doing — torturing and killing innocent men, women and children, raping some and selling some into slavery — is not in harmony with the sacred texts or traditions of Islam.
The White House web site even proclaimed the ISIL speaks for no religion at all. But while most of the world wants to agree with the statement and the sentiment — the facts simply aren’t on the side of those ignorant about Islam and the Qur’an.
Surah 9 of the Qur’an called Repentance is referred to by many as Muhammad’s Last Will and Testament. Since Surah 9 is the last major surah revealed in the Qur’an, it trumps (or abrogates per Surah 2:106) all of the peaceful verses handed down and written earlier.
Here are just a few of the commands and exhortations found in Surah 9:
1. No agreements are valid with idolaters (which includes Jews and Christians as explained in 9:30). (9:3)
2. Slay the idolaters wherever you find them. (9:5)
3. Do not make friends with non-Muslims (9:23)
4. Idolaters (including Jews and Christians) are filth – najisun. (9:28)
5. Fight Jews and Christians until they become Muslims or pay tribute in utter humiliation. (9:29)
6. Islam must be triumphant over all other religions. (9:33)
7. There is no “sacred month” in which fighting non-Muslims is forbidden. (9:36)
8. Using a 365-day solar calendar in lieu of a 354-day lunar calendar is a “grossly impious practice.” (9:37)
9. Muslims who don’t fight against non-Muslims will be sternly punished and replaced by others. (9:39)
10. Whether unarmed or well-equipped, fight for the cause of Allah with your money and your persons. (9:41)
11. Charitable contributions shall be used to advance Islam, among other things. (9:60)
12. Muslims are called to “kill and be killed,” and for this they will be rewarded paradise. (9:111)
13. Provoking non-Muslims is a good deed in the sight of God. (9:121)
14. Muslims are called to make war on all infidels who dwell around them. (9:123)
President Obama — who claims to be a Christian — should understand that Christianity is exclusive. Religions are different because they offer a different faith claim. They differ because quite frankly they contradict each other. They cannot be true at the same time. So while they do have things in common, it is completely irrelevant.
God has not presented us with three or four or five or fifteen religions with the hope that we choose one, one that suits us, one that will fit and fill our needs and desires. To suggest as President Obama has that “America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings” is to be utterly foolish.
Forget what the journalists say, or even the scholars, look no further than the texts of the Qur’an and the actions of the Islamists who “believe” it is the word of God as revealed to Muhammad and you tell me which of the two has it right.
A fair reading of the Qur’an can not leave a reasonable person with the conclusion that it is a religion of peace. It is clearly as its own text proclaims a religion of darkness and death.
David is a deacon at his local church and a perpetual student of religion, politics and American history. Author, speaker, blogger, David lives in Southern California with his wife and their three children. This piece and many others found here can first be read at Eaglerising.com or at Americanthinker.com. You can follow him on Twitter @cogitarus. He’s available for speaking engagements upon request.